
Recently I was looking for a new book to review through Thomas Nelson Publishing. I came upon this title Love You More (The Divine Surprise of Adopting My Daughter) by Jennifer Grant. I thought what the heck! I mean, I will soon have a new nephew due to adoption, and I should probably learn a little bit about this whole process. Wow! I was blown away. Not only does Jennifer Grant take you on her family's journey of adoption, in a very real and candid way, but she made me look at things through an entirely different lens. She asks and answers the hard questions :
- Why adopt? Who should adopt? Should everyone adopt? What are the right reasons to adopt?
- Domestic vs. International adoption?
- Special needs adoption vs. "normal" kids?
- Questions you should ask adopting parents and questions you should not
- Ways to be supportive and helpful encouragement for the adopting parents and family
I was blown away by how good of a writer Grant is. She does write for the Chicago Tribune, so I guess I should have known she would be articulate. Her communication skills enabled me to understand a little bit better what this whole adoption thing is all about. I even mentioned to my mother-in-law last night that everyone in the our family and beyond needs to read this book. We need to understand what our family is facing in order to really be informed and compassionate participants in this whole adoption thing. Jennifer talks about how God shaped her heart through adoption and how she was able to know better through the compassion she extended to others.
This book is not heart-warming and mushy. In fact, it's just the opposite. It is a true, hard view of what adoption really looks like: the good, the bad, and the great. I can't say enough of this book and how informative and encouraging it was. Two thumbs up for Jennifer Grant and Love You More.
No comments:
Post a Comment